Sunday 8 December 2013

Indoor Art

Instead of asking the little girl to paint colouring pages all the time, I've decided to let her have a go at free-form painting. You know, just give her some paint and painting paraphernalia and let her do her thing without interruption. After a month, these are what we have.


This was done after our most recent visit to Jurong Bird Park which I wrote about here. I gave her a sponge to paint with but the sponge soaked up too much paint. She ended up smearing and layering the paint with her hands which looked like so much fun. 

Then I gave her a fork which she used to scratch. The scratches uncovered the bright colours underneath the mess of brown which I thought was beautiful. Due to the fact that she was still affected by the man riding the horse during the show, she asked me to draw them, which I did, somewhere to the right of the painting. I scratched a man on a horse with a fork! The things I have to teach myself as a mother. And somewhere at the bottom, you can see two figures. That was me and her watching the show, as requested by her.


After that blob of brown previously, I thought more colours would be nice. So for the next painting session, I squeezed the paint on different corners of the paper as she painted, as opposed to giving her the paint on a palette. The good thing is, we had a chance to talk about secondary colours as she mixed the colours together. The bad thing is, the whole work looked too organised, with five segregated colour compartments. That was the first and the last then.

After that, I gave her a spoon and a fork to scratch with. After a bit of scratching and scooping, she remembered the man riding the horse again. This time, she wanted a hawk on the man's arm, just like during the show at Bird Park. So I obliged, and you can see the trio on the top left of the painting. She asked for an owl, which my hubby scratched for her somewhere to the right. I didn't really think it looked like an owl, but the girl was contented. Whatever makes her happy.


For the next one, I gave her an Avent bottle brush which I found in a corner of our store room. Since the girl doesn't drink from a bottle since she was, I don't know, maybe six months old, the bottle brush has been in hibernation since then. Now it's found a new lease of life!

With only blue and green paint, she painted away with the brush, or more like brushed away with the brush. Since the paper was on the floor, she looked like she was brushing the floor with it. Then on her own accord, she started to smack the paper with the brush, producing pretty splatters which you can see on the sides. Of course she was ecstatic to get paint splatters on herself too. I thought that was just gorgeous but then she asked for a fork and a spoon. The little girl is nothing if not a creature of habit.


So for the next one, I was pretty adamant about not giving her the fork and spoon. With blue and red paint, and using the big bottle brush, she produced the above work of art. It blew me away. I just love the wavy textures on the painting. There's nothing much else to say about it. It speaks for itself.


The next one was initiated by the little girl who took the water colour palette and asked if she could paint. Of course she could and so I put up the paper for her. She wanted to use the tiny brush that came with the water colour palette but after a while, she smeared her fingers and painted with them. The red smears were added at the end, as if on an afterthought. It really livened up the painting I must say.



The latest artwork was done with two almost-deflated balloons that we got at a birthday party a month ago. I think that's the good things about not throwing away things too quickly. You never know what they could be used for! 

She stamped away with the balloons and I love the radial textures of the green prints. I don't know why the same couldn't be achieved for the orange prints. It could be due to the fact that different balloons were used, and the green and orange paints were of different brands, hence different consistency. The green prints remind me of lotus leaves so the artwork looked like a top-view of a pond filled with orange kois and lotus leaves.

That's all we have for now. I think we have two more pieces which I have kept away but those are for another time. Happy painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment