Thursday 23 May 2013

Baby Bird

Some experiences are so significant to a young child that they leave a lasting impression on the child. After all, most things are new to them and death and burial are definitely new concepts for a young child. 


I wrote last week about the little girl telling me about Blackie the cat killing a bird and since then, she's been talking about Blackie the "naughty cat" and the bird. I found out later that the bird that was killed was a baby bird and sometimes the little girl will say, "Baby bird cannot sing." It's true, isn't it? The baby bird is dead and it can't sing anymore. I always feel a tinge of sadness when she says that.

When we read books together, especially those by Julia Donaldson, the little girl likes to look at each page before going on to the next. Truthfully, I love looking at the pictures too as the pages are so beautifully illustrated and the little details in the pictures are just so delightful. In fact, she says longer sentences with 5-6 words when she's describing the pictures as compared to the usual 3-4 word sentences during our other communication. So yah, I do encourage her to talk about the pictures. 




During our recent bedtime reading, after we had finished reading The Gruffalo's Child by Julia Donaldson, the little girl stopped to study the cover of the book and I welcomed the break before the next book. Then she said, "Baby bird sit on the tree." Then she continued nursing and looking at the bird. I didn't ask her further but I wondered if she was thinking of the baby bird that was killed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment