Wednesday 22 May 2013

Huruf Hijaiyah

I'm not into flashcards; I really am not. I just told a friend a moment earlier that I'm bent on contextualisation. With flashcards, contextualisation goes out the window. But I'm making an exception because it is for something important. 


I've been using these hijaiyah flashcards every night before bedtime with my 21-mth-old daughter and MasyaAllah, I'm amazed at how fast she has learnt. After consistently using them for two weeks (I started last year but I wasn't consistent then), she has recognised and is able to pronounce eight huruf hijaiyah with fathah - aa, ba, wa, ma, sha, ka, ta, ya. 

When I flash the cards, I try to relate the sounds to things that she knows. For example, I will say, "The sheep says ___" while showing the card with "ba", "Vroom vroom goes the ___" while holding the card with "ka". I notice that she learns much more quickly that way. You could say that's using some form of contextualisation. 

Although some she took a few days to recognise, but she recognised "sha" in just one night. The second syllable of her name is "sha". Now I'm teaching her "da" and "ra" because my name and my husband's name have those sounds respectively but it hasn't been as quick as "sha".

Truly, Allah is All-Knowing and all knowledge belongs to Him. May my daughter receives the knowledge that we are trying to impart to her. Ameen.

No comments:

Post a Comment