Monday 10 February 2014

Children's Garden

The latest attraction for the young and the young at heart, Children's Garden at Gardens by the Bay, does not disappoint. We've been there thrice so far and we are still awed by the place. There's always something different that captures the little girl's fancy. We are amazed that the place is huge, there are so many things to explore, and there is no admission fee. Yes, it's FREE! It's open 9am to 9pm every day except Monday, unless Monday is a public holiday then it will close the next working day.

The garden has four main areas - water play area, toddler play area, tree houses and adventure trail. And the water play area is divided into two parts - one for older children aged 6-12 years and another for 2-5 years. 

Water play

Although the water play area for the older children is big and awesome, with lots of water shooting, splashing and spraying, my 2-year-old was a little scared of it as there was too much water coming from different sides. Most of the children there looked like they really enjoyed splashing and running about in the water, but my daughter was happy to play at the water play area for toddlers instead.




Water play area for older children

A lot of chairs and big umbrellas around the water play area



Water play area for toddlers

Toddler play

Adjacent to the water play area is a play area for toddlers with a slide, low swings, a bridge, a balancing beam, and some others. This is definitely a safe place for toddlers to explore and play on their own and I was glad that I could take a little breather here while the little girl ventured on her own within the somewhat confined area.


Toddler play area

Treehouses

Just when we thought that that was it and was happy to change and go home after our first trip there, we walked a little further from the water play area and saw a whole new area, starting with the tree houses. WOW! Play has just taken on a different level here! The tree houses and adventure trail are designed for children aged 6-12 years and those with younger children, like me, are highly advised to keep a close watch on their younger ones. Of course, I learnt that the hard way.


The tree houses

The first thing that the little girl was attracted to was a spinning disc. There were many children who were sitting and standing on it, with a staff who was manning it, so the little girl wanted to sit on it too. So she sat quietly, looking at the rest, while it spun away. 

I took my eyes away to look at something else, and when I turned back, I saw my little girl flying in the air and landing face first on the sand. Although she cried, with sand on her face and in her mouth, I was just thankful that it was sand that she had landed on and not a hard surface. As expected, she was okay after a short cry for more exploring.

The spinning disc that parents should be cautious of

The tree houses were fantastic though, with tall tunnel slides, a firemen pole, swinging bridges, and lots of climbing ropes. The only thing that made me go on high alert though were the holes in the wooden platform at the upper deck of the tree house, for climbing ropes, a firemen pole and rope nets. Parents definitely have to supervise their younger children here closely so that they don't fall through the holes. Because of that, I didn't take pictures of that place to avoid another fall.


Lots to explore around the tree houses

Adventure trail

Seamlessly connected to the tree houses is the adventure trail, with slides, webs and balancing beams waiting for the adventurous little ones. I was surprised that the little girl wanted to have a go at many of them. She has really become more confident and adventurous of late and I'm truly grateful for that. 

Where the adventure begins

Something I really didn't expect was for her to say that she wanted to go down the big, tall slide on her own. At first, I told her we could try it when her papa was around. Then when she insisted again, I relented. I asked her if she was okay going down on her own and she said, "You wait downstairs, mummy." I thought what could possibly happen, right? Wrong! A mother put her on the slide and down she went while I cheered her on from the bottom. Everything was going fine till she almost reached the bottom. That was when she started to spin to her right and fell sideways, with her right cheek hitting the slide. 

She wailed out loud and I ran to her. Thankfully there was no bruise or cut on her cheek; it was just red from the impact. I carried and soothed her while the lady who had put her on the slide came rushing down. A staff at the slide came down to check on the little girl too. The lady said she felt really terrible but I told her it was nobody's fault. It was the little girl who had insisted to go down on her own.

The lady suggested that I could go down the slide with my little girl so that she would not have a phobia of slides after her fall. She said her helper had gone down with her daughter on her lap and I could do the same. I asked the little girl if was keen to go down the slide again with me and she was! I was totally blown away. I thought she would not want to go near it after that fall. How I thanked Him for giving her the courage which I do not have.


The tall slide and the tunnel slides

So after that, not only did I go down the tall and fast slide with the little girl on my lap, I also had to pluck up my courage to go down the tunnel slides with her. I've never gone down tunnel slides till that day and I'm proud that I conquered my fear! But cramming myself into the slide with her on my lap, and going up the steps again and again really made my back ache that night, and the next two days. But it was worth it.

Then she saw the big spider web on a rather steep slope and an older boy running up the slope. Before I could do or say anything, she was running up the slope too! So this mummy had no choice but to run after her. It proved to be an afternoon of physical activities not just for the little girl, but for the big one too.



Not bad for a first-timer

The second time we were there, there was actually a little boy in a Spider-man costume who was climbing away at the ropes below. Although the little girl was scared at first, as she's generally scared of people in costumes, she was delighted of his presence after a while. For Naeem, whom the little girl was having a playdate with, it was more like a dream come true for him.

More ropes for climbing and swinging

During our third visit, the little girl took a liking for the uneven, swaying bridge. After crossing the bridge once with my help, she said, "Mummy, you don't have to hold my hand." Then she went on to climb onto it and cross the bridge by herself. My heart was in my throat at first but I'm grateful that I let go and listened to her. It was obvious from her excitement that she was proud of her achievement and she wanted to do it again and again. I'm proud of you too, little one!



Confidently crossing the uneven, swaying bridge by herself

Then she met a little self-taught gymnast at the beams. The little girl was totally captivated and spent a lot of time watching her. Of course the little girl tried climbing up the sides to get her legs over the beam too, but to no avail. All she could do was swing from the beam for now but I'm sure each time she sees these beams, she will try to swing like the gymnast for sure. 



Watching the little gymnast

I am in love with the fact that the playground is so big, with so many different types of activities, that there's always something new that will captivate the little girl's interest. In just three visits, both she and I have tried new things that we've never done before and there are many more waiting to be explored, like the firemen pole. And if that's not enough, the fact that it's outdoor and not another crammed indoor playground with ball pits and plastic slides, just make it a whole lot awesome. So parents, get your children out to play!

No comments:

Post a Comment