Tuesday 13 August 2013

Henna Designs

This morning, the little girl woke up, stared out the windows for a while, then asked for the whiteboard. We wiped the board together and then she asked for the markers. After I had gotten the markers, she said, "I want to draw henna like kakak." I knew exactly which "kakak" (elder sister) she was referring to, the one in the book Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns.



So I took the book for her, opened up to the page of the "kakak" with henna designs on her palms, and let the little girl draw. She started with an orange marker, just like in the picture, then went on to other colours. She was concentrating so hard and was at it for quite a while. Although she usually writes and draws with her right hand, she even transferred the marker to her left hand because she wanted to draw on her right hand.



She asked me to join in as well and I obliged. I didn't want to draw too nicely as I did not want to interfere with her efforts so I drew a few flowers and dots on my palm. The little girl even coloured her fingertips, just like in the book, which I found to be hilarious at first, but then I smiled at her observation and wanting to follow closely to the picture.


What a lovely morning it was and I totally love it when she takes the lead when it comes to her play and I am close by to assist, accompany and guide her.

Then later in the day, I read article online and came across this, which totally inspired me:

The right brain, which governs much of our self-regulation, creativity and empathy, can grow throughout life. The right brain grows through full-body experience like rough-and-tumble play, dancing or freelance artistic creation. So at any point, a parent can take up a creative activity with a child and they can grow together.

I'm not saying I'm a creative person because I am far from one, but I have noticed that the more I think of ways to occupy my child with craft or messy play at home, the more I can think of new ways of doing things with her. Initially I thought there are only finite ways of doing things and one day I would hit a brick wall, but I'm grateful that that day has not come yet. Does that mean that the creative part of my brain is growing? I really do hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment