Monday 13 May 2013

Bug Lollies

Za, Sha and I had an animals playdate at the zoo before and we thought it would be fun to organise another themed playdate for our bubs. We decided on bugs since Za was going to the Mega Bugs exhibition at Science Centre. The date was set, the theme was decided on and the venue was Botanic Gardens. 

The details for the playdate were confirmed only 2-3 days before the actual day and I didn't have much time to prepare. The playdate fell on Mother's Day so the day before it I had spent the whole evening at my parents' place. After the little girl was asleep at 12.30am, I decided I had to do something. I couldn't just go empty-handed with some sandwiches! Za had planned her activities and I was sure Sha, the energetic bunny that she is, would do something too. So at 2am, I googled some bugs pictures to go with a book that I intended to read. 

The actual printing, cutting and pasting of the pictures took place 2 hours before the playdate (Yes, I love the adrenaline rush of last-minute preparation). Self-praise is no praise but I think the final products were really pretty. The pictures were big, printed on glossy photo paper, then pasted on jumbo ice-cream sticks. I call them my bug lollies. 

Bug lollies

These are the bugs - tarantula, leafcutter ant, peacock butterfly, stag beetle and ladybird. I chose them as they are the same ones mentioned in the book. I thought the title of the book is somewhat misleading since the tarantula is not an insect! Oh well.

If you are interested in making your own bug lollies, or just print them out to paste around somewhere, leave a message and I'll be happy to email the pictures to you. I've added two more insects - grasshopper and dragonfly. More details of the actual playdate in another post! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Aida can I get those pictures of the bugs! I am a follower of your blog now it gives me so much ideas as to what I can do with my kids. Thank you so much love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jannah. Sorry for the really late reply! I hope you've enjoyed what you have read so far. Can you give me your email add? I'll be happy to email the pictures to you.

    ReplyDelete