Thursday 16 May 2013

Shadow Play

A few weeks back, we were walking around downstairs, heading towards the playground at night. Suddenly the little girl pointed to the ground and said, "Shadow". I was shocked as I don't think I had pointed out shadows to her before. I looked at my husband and he was equally shocked, as he said the last time he told her about shadows was a long time ago. 

But there she was, pointing at our shadows on the ground, so I took the opportunity to tell her that shadows form when light is blocked. I made different poses with my arms and legs so that she could see how my shadow changed when I changed my pose. There was a snail nearby and I pointed out the snail's shadow too. After a while, we proceeded to the playground.

Fast forward to three days ago: 
I was looking through my stash of busy bags and found something that my friend Lin had done. I received it last year but I didn't think she was ready then to play with it but I think she can appreciate it now.

Shadow matching cards

Taking apart and matching the cards

Lin had made these shadow matching cards with letters to trace on the back. The little girl was excited to see the animals at first that she didn't even realise that the animals are stuck to their shadows. When she realised what's behind the animals, she tore apart every single one excitedly. With all the cards spread out on the carpet, I held out an animal card and asked her to look for its shadow. I was surprised that she could! 

Fast forward again to today: 
The little girl wanted to read a book while nursing so I took The Gruffalo's Child by Julia Donaldson. I read the book as usual and when I got to this page, it suddenly dawned upon me. I pointed to the book and asked her what it was and she said, "Shadow!" 

The Big Bad Mouse!

Aaah... So that's where she learnt about shadows! All this while I've been reading the book and I didn't even realise it. MasyaAllah.

No comments:

Post a Comment